Forget Red State, Blue State: Is Your State "Tight" or "Loose"?
Patricia Thompson stashed this in Random Tidbits
To save this post, select a stash from drop-down menu or type in a new one:
Other major distinguishing factors between "tight" and "loose" states:
- Tight states have higher incarceration rates and higher execution rates.
- Tight states have "lower circulation of pornographic magazines."
- Tight states have "more charges of employment discrimination per capita."
- Tight states produce fewer patents per capita, and have far fewer "fine artists" (including "painters, illustrators, writers").
- Most striking of all, the authors found "a negative and linear relationship between tightness and happiness" among citizens. Put more simply: People in loose states are happier.