25 things you never knew about The Simpsons
Halibutboy Flatfish stashed this in Comics
26. Halibutboy has never seen an episode of the Simpsons in its entirety.
The only thing Halibutboy has more than 20 minutes of patience for is sporting events.
17. The length of the credits sequence couch gag is dependent upon how long the episode is
If producers need to fill time during a shorter episode, they’ll make an extended couch gag. If the episode’s over-running, they’ll do a quick-hit visual one.
25. “D’oh!” is written in scripts as “annoyed grunt”
Dan Castellaneta, the voice behind Homer, improvised the sound based on Jimmy Finlayson’s exasperated “Dooooh!” in the Laurel & Hardy films. Because the original Tracey Ullmann Show shorts had a one-minute running time, Matt Groening asked Castellaneta to speed it up - hence “d’oh!” was born.
8. Over the course of multiple seasons, the brief clips of actor Rainier Wolfcastle’s action hero McBain form a coherent four-minute mini-movie, spoofing 80s action films
According to producer Al Jean, this wasn’t intentional. However, fans have stitched the clips together to prove it’s possible:
15. Paul and Linda McCartney agreed to appear in the episode 'Lisa the Vegetarian' on the condition that the writers maintained Lisa’s vegetarianism for the rest of series
She’s still meat-free to this day. Macca also agreed to let them use Maybe I’m Amazed over the closing credits, overlaid with a recipe for lentil soup said backwards - sending up accusations that the Beatles put hidden messages in their songs. The recipe concluded with the aside, “Oh, and by the way, I’m alive”, in reference to the conspiracy theory that McCartney died in 1966 and was replaced by an imposter.