This Is the Key to Happiness, According to Psychotherapists | TIME
Eric Barker stashed this in Diabolical Plans For World Domination
The story you tell yourself about your life.
When your vision of your life story is inadequate, depression can result.
Psychotherapists actually help “rewrite” that story and this process is as, if not more, effective than medication.
So you must have a story that you tell yourself about your life and it must be a good one. To assemble one or fix the one you have:
- Reflect and consider the different ways your life could have gone. Feeling this was “meant to be” can increase meaning.
- Try applying this to groups you are in as well.
- Imagine your funeral to clarify goals and the story that lies ahead.
- Monitor what fiction you take in and how it affects your personal story.
- Explore story-editing if your vision of life doesn’t seem to fit.