How To Improve Your Writing: 5 Secrets From Hollywood
Eric Barker stashed this in Diabolical Plans For World Domination
Here’s what Andy had to say about how to improve your writing:
- Structure lets readers know they’re in good hands. And finishing a draft is just the start. Writing is rewriting.
- Surprise comes from knowing the expectations of your audience — and then turning them on their head.
- The best writers know how to balance the negativity of perfectionism with the optimism that keeps them going. Making sure you have “small wins” can help.
- Collaboration is about suspending your ego. Stop thinking about yourself and focus on what would objectively make the piece better.
- Making a reader feel something is about honesty. You don’t have to come from the future to write science fiction but there does have to be something of yourself in the story for that emotion to show through.
And these ideas don’t just apply to writing. You can be an artist at anything if you take the mindset of an artist and strive to be great at whatever you do. Here’s Andy:
In the same way that there’s an art to crafting surfboards or an art to designing cars, there’s an art to pumping gas or being a garbage man. No matter how much you’re being paid or what you’re doing as a career, you need to embrace the art of it and not be afraid of the artist in you… Find the art in everything you do.