How to Train Like a Sailor
Dov Werdiger stashed this in Fitness
Stashed in: Fitspo
Wow...if you have the time, here it goes:
CardioFour times per week (minimum of eight hours total)
- Prolonged steady state aerobic exercise: 90- to 120-minute gym sessions on a bike, rower, or treadmill. You can mix it up on different machines. Outside cycling requires a minimum of two hours.
Weights Three sessions per week, weights vary
- Chest and shoulders: Push ups (2 sets, 20 reps), bench press (4 sets, 8-10 reps), incline bench press (3 sets, 10 reps), push press (3 sets, 8 reps), shot putt (3 sets, 8 reps), rear delt row (3 sets, 10 reps), curls (3 sets, 8 reps), pushdowns (3 sets, 8 reps).
- Legs and back: Deadlifts (4 sets, 8-10 reps), cable squat to row (4 sets, 8 reps), one-arm dumbbell snatch (4 sets, 8 reps), bent over row (3 sets, 8 reps), lat pull-downs (3 sets, 8 reps), seated row (3 sets, 8 reps), Uni rotational row (3 sets, 8 reps).
Abs and Core Three sessions per week (directly after weights)
- 20 reps each of crunches, bicycle crunches, oblique crunches, sit ups, flat back leg lifts, flat back toe touches, jack knifes, bridge crunches, and hollow holds.
- 30 reps each of planks, one-leg planks, side planks, side planks and abduction, and V-ups
Circuit TrainingSubstitute for an aerobic session once per week
- 60-minute circuit: 2 sets of 20 reps for each of the following: squat, uni rotational row, push-up, bent-over row, rower machine, overhead press, rear delt row, flat fly, seated row, cable pushdown, sit up, spin bike, curl, lying leg raise, hi-lo chop, lower body twist, chop, treadmill jog 500 meters
Wow, sailors are hardcore. This is a LOT of work!