The core of humanity is to help each other. We simply forget about that sometimes.
Adam Rifkin stashed this in @omidyarnetwork
This week I attended the executive forum of the @OmidyarNetwork (#ONEF12).
Here are 48 notes I pulled from my Twitter...
1. “Your task is not to seek love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” ~Rumi
2. When telling a story remember Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted, counts." #onef12 -- Alvaro Rodriguez A. @alvarodrigueza
4. The Network is @OmidyarNetwork's greatest value.
5. If you want to know what truly matters in life, listen to the kind of things that are said about people when they die. ~ @juleshanna
6. There's a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. The other is good.
7. Talent is universal. Opportunity is not. @juleshanna
10. First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. Then you win. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
11. Whatever affects one, affects all indirectly.
12. The pain of yesterday is the strength of today. ~ @paulocoelho
13. I've never lost a game. I've just run out of time. ~ attributed to Vince Lombardi
14. What's the difference between an introverted and extroverted engineer? The extroverted one looks at YOUR shoes. ~ attributed to @johnolilly
15. We need other people. That's what gives me hope. ~ @Pierre
16. No human being survives without the care of other human beings. ~ @Pierre
17. We're all just human beings regardless of our station in life... Everything that happens is the result of our actions and actions of others. ~ @Pierre
18. Politicians spend more than half their time fundraising. ~ @Pierre
19. Only 1 in 400 Americans has ever made a contribution of over $200 to a political candidate. That's one quarter of one percent. ~ @Pierre
20. We are all interconnected in a real communication network. Leaders must respond intelligently and instantly. ~ @Pierre
21. It's not where you're going. It's who you're on the journey with. ~ @Pierre
22. "... @Pierre is in permanent beta..." ~ Matt Bannick
23. Wow. 62 non-profit investees, 60 for profit investees, over $500 million in capital committed by @OmidyarNetwork -- WOW!!
24. Stand up. Move. Right now.
25. There are no mistakes, @BornArtistic. Just opportunities to learn.
27. If you have a bank account, you're in the minority globally. ~ Aria Finger @AriaIrene
30. Kiva has enabled $300 million in loan volume since 2005. Over 1 million loans.
31. Inculcate curiosity into organization. Ask questions daily. Help find answers. Do projects outside comfort zones. ~ Reid Hoffman -- Susan Davis @SusanDavisBRAC
32. To stay adaptable, always have employees take on tasks they aren't completely comfortable with. ~ @OmidyarNetwork
34. Crowdfunding: $1.5 billion in 2011. $3 billion in 2012?! http://pandawhale.com/convo/1429/crowdfunding-15-billion-in-2011-3-billion-in-2012
35. Enjoy life and all the things you have at the moment because you can't have everything at once. http://pandawhale.com/convo/1417/enjoy-life-and-all-the-things-you-have-at-the-moment-because-you-cant-have-everything-all-at-once
36. The biggest opportunities have risk. That's why they're the biggest opportunities. ~ Reid Hoffman aka @quixotic
37. Board: 15 minutes if governance, via dashboard. Here's trends and risks. Then 1-3 strategic topics. Problems to solve. Then CEO-only session. Then Board-only session: Are we managing the organization the way we want? ~ @quixotic
38. Social is really just beginning. ~ @quixotic
39. We have to get away from saying "It's just business." That's like saying "It's just sociopathic behavior." Ethics ALWAYS matter. ~ @quixotic
40. Don't stop reference checking until you find a negative reference. Everyone has someone who will give them a negative reference. ~ @quixotic
41. When networking your lead question should be: What's the most surprising thing you've learned in the last month? ~ @quixotic
42. Exchange of information and increasing network density lead to more opportunities: resources, trends, and knowledge. ~ @quixotic
43. Everyone knows something useful to each person they meet. The key is to figure out what that is for any given person. ~ @quixotic
44. What should you pay attention to? What should you learn? There's too much information out there. Networks are the solution. ~ @quixotic
45. In the beginning your problem is relevance: Can you rise above the noise? ~ @quixotic
46. Focus on the key problem in front of you. Don't pre-solve. ~ @quixotic
47. You learn from the challenges in front of you. ~ @quixotic
48. The most important thing an organization can do is intensely learn. In an interview ask if this person is an "infinite learner". ~ @quixotic