Are new start-ups offering log in service via email/password
Lara Druyan stashed this in Start-ups
Five reasons why startups are using OAuth instead of implementing their own registration: http://blog.edgeyo.com/2011/12/5-reasons-why-startups-oauth/
5. It's simple to implement.
4. It eliminates complex registration forms.
3. It lets the big companies handle SSL.
2. It makes it easier to do Facebook and Twitter integrations.
1. No more reimplementing the wheel.
No prospect of embarrassing [unencrypted] password database breaches like Zappos, Gawker, Steam et al.