Constructive Criticism: The Secret To Career Improvement
Learning how to listen to feedback takes a lot of practice:
Asking for constructive criticism can change your career (and your life) because once you have the feedback, you can use it to improve yourself or work to change the perception of others. Here are some helpful hints to obtain feedback:
- Begin by choosing people whose opinions you value.
- Speak with each person confidentially and explain what you are doing. Ask if they would be willing to meet with you to provide feedback. Not everyone will be comfortable providing this kind of information and it’s important you respect their decision if they decide not to participate.
- Schedule a mutually acceptable time and private location for the discussion. Be sure to choose a place where both of you are comfortable.
- Be prepared to ask them questions as well as follow-up questions to clarify any answers you don’t understand.
- Don’t get defensive or try to justify any past behavior. Listen to what they have to say even if their comments bruise your ego.
That last part is SUPER important.
Listen to what they have to say even if their comments bruise your ego.
DON'T get defensive or try to justify any past behavior.