Every single person in America is PISSED at NBC's Olympics coverage.
Adam Rifkin stashed this in Olympics!
Jessica Benjestorf nails it:
If you live somewhere in the United States, have a TV, and prefer not to live in a world where Ryan Seacrest trumps some ol' fashioned global communing, then you are probably royally P.O.'ed. at NBC.
So just to recap: NBC is fucking up big time on our behalf and we're all going to continue whining about it while there is air in our lungs and power in our computer machines.
Not only that but NBC's live streaming apps for iPhone and iPad pretty much didn't work all weekend.
Combine that with NBC's refusal to show certain awesome events live because they want the prime time audience, and FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
It didn't even work to keep the tv on NBC to avoid spoilers because they inserted Brian Williams' newscast between live events and then spoiled their own coverage by opening with results of the events they won't show you for a few more hours! Bastards.
Plus, if you check Facebook or Twitter for even a minute you're flooded with things that have already happened but NBC still hasn't broadcasted.
A guide to Olympics backlash: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/07/dont-hate-games-guide-olympics-backlash/55189/
A pro NBC guy speaks up: http://www.businessinsider.com/nbcs-olympics-coverage-is-perfect-2012-7
NBC blames its streaming problems on my crappy computer: http://www.businessinsider.com/nbc-blames-olympic-streaming-problems-on-users-2012-7
NBC spoiled Missy Franklin's race: http://www.businessinsider.com/video-nbc-spoiled-missy-franklins-tape-delayed-gold-medal-2012-7
The economics of #nbcFAIL : http://www.businessinsider.com/nbc-doesnt-care-that-you-want-to-watch-the-olympics-live-on-tv-2012-7
Missy Franklin is one of many NBC spoilers before they broadcast.
They did the same thing with Usain Bolt 100 meters yesterday. Argh!!
This situation isn't that surprising. You have a legacy media company insisting that business must be done on the same terms as they are accustomed to. In 2012 anyone in charge of a major media budget must be aware that sports must be done in real time, yet the ad sales models haven't caught up yet. They still want to buy certain sports in certain time slots.
It's not just the blatant adherence to outdated business models, technology is also far outpacing the capabilities and choices consumers are receiving. There is so much disruption coming to this market in the next 5-10 years.
It cannot come soon enough. But NBC has locked up distribution rights through 2020.
That's what I find so interesting. There's guaranteed to be a decent workaround before then. Same thing applies to all these 10-15 year sports/media rights deals. There's a lot of interesting fallout potential.
I hope so for the sake of consumers.
The best part is they consistently tweet and link to their downloadable iPad app as if it were viewable web content.
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators during the 2012 Olympics in London, that they would like to take back:
1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."
3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."
5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."
6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."
7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."
8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."
9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?"