How to Make the Ultimate Grilled Cheese
J Thoendell stashed this in Food
If your idea of the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich involves Kraft singles, Wonder Bread, and a Foreman grill, it’s time to step your game up. To help you properly upgrade the humble snack into a gourmet meal, chef Amy Stonionis of Murray’s Cheese Bar in NYC breaks down the golden rules of grilled cheese perfection, and gives you five tried-and-true combos that take it to the next level.
I love it!
1. Stack yo’ cheese(s): “Cheese is the star, bread is just the vehicle,” says Stonionis. Use a base cheese (like cheddar), a super-melty cheese (like fontina or Gruyère), and a flavor kick cheese (like a young Gouda).
3. Strictly butter, baby:
Melt butter, then brush it onto the bread before you begin (this creates even browning).
Grilled cheeses pictured, from top to bottom:
- fontina, cheddar, Gouda
- chèvre, kale salad, roasted sweet potatoes, avocado
- NY state cheddar, bacon
- pepper jack, Peppadew peppers
- mac and cheese, pulled pork, caramelized onions (recipe below)
- smoked Gouda, roasted turkey, Peppadew peppers, spinach, chipotle mayo