International report confirms: 2014 was Earthâ€™s warmest year on record.
Adam Rifkin stashed this in Science!
To save this post, select a stash from drop-down menu or type in a new one:
Top Reddit comment:
- Greenhouse gases continued to climb
- Record temperaturesÂ observed near the Earthâ€™s surface
- Tropical Pacific Ocean moves towards El NiĂ±oâ€“Southern Oscillation conditions (this is actually is a big deal).
- Sea surface temperatures wereÂ record high
- Global upper ocean heat content wasÂ record high
- Global sea level wasÂ record high
- The 2015 Pacific cyclone season is breaking numerous records
- The Gulf Stream is slowing faster than expected
- The Totten Glacier, a keystone glacier in east Antarctica, is losing a startling amount of water
- Canada and Alaska are on pace to break yearly records for forest fires.
Furthermore, it is very likely (94% probability) thatÂ the 15 warmest years all occurred since 1997, and virtually certain (>99% probability) that the 5 warmest and 10 warmest years all occurred since 1997. Thus, while we cannot conclusively claim that 2014 was the warmest year in the real world when uncertainty is factored in, the 48% probability does not imply that 2014 was anything other than a very warm year, and it certainly does not cast doubt on the unprecedented warmth over the last 20 years.