Helping others makes you happier. What are the five steps to doing it right? by Eric Barker
Adam Rifkin stashed this in #kindness
Eric Barker reviews Adam Grant's book Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success:
How much should I help others? How often? Will I be exploited? Will I end up resenting people I love if they don’t reciprocate?
Breaking it down:
- To be happier and healthier you need to give to others.
- Don’t be a martyr. Constant selfless giving is not the answer.
- 100 hrs a year is the minimum to increase happiness, so do about 2 hrs per week or a little more.
- You need to do it because you want to, so find a way to help others that is meaningful to you.
- It’s better to cluster those activities than to spread them out.
It's worth reading Eric's entire review: