Forget Siri: Here's a New Way for Robots to Talk
Geege Schuman stashed this in Bots
To save this post, select a stash from drop-down menu or type in a new one:
Personality traits! Chao devised a set of parameters that she can adjust to give the robot a more active or passive attitude:
- Does the robot try to speak as soon as there is a moment of silence?
- Does it interrupt others if they are speaking too long?
- Does it allow itself to be interrupted, or not?
- Is it ok with conflict—talking over each other—and for how long?
- How many seconds of silence does it let tick by before jumping in?
- How much space does it leave between its own sentences?
- How much does the robot give backchannels, such as nodding or "mm hmm"?
- Does it wait for the person to look at them before it's takes its turn to speak?