5 lessons from Greplin's demise - Iterating Fun
Matt Nunogawa stashed this in Startups
from the article:
What startup lessons am I taking away from Greplin’s demise?
- Be a painkiller, not a vitamin (eg dropbox)
- Make something that people are going to use often (eg evernote)
- Hype is different from traction (eg greplin vs whatsapp)
- Give people a triggers to return to the service (eg icons, notifications)
- Make something viral or at least monetizing well enough to buy traffic (eg mint)
Gremlin is dead?!
Those are a great summary of the takeaways.
One more lesson: Don't think that just because a startup is from YCombinator and has Sequoia as a funder, that they actually know how to build a business.