Be here now.
Adam Rifkin stashed this in Reflection
Twitter is removing my Posterous.
So I'm moving this post of mine from there to here. Posted June 23, 2010.
Stashed in: Be here now., @ifindkarma, Koans, Quotes!, Love is Chemicals, Life Hacks, #happiness, Anne Frank, Breathe., Letting Go, Identity, @mabb0tt, #kindness, Faster!, Lessons are repeated until they are learned., Hugs!
I told her that being present is challenging because life has so many "be here now" distractions.
To which she responded...
Whenever she feels scattered, she looks in the mirror and asks herself where she is.
Sometimes she has to ask herself a few times to bring herself back to the present, but it always works:
Perhaps that's why reflection creates identity...
To be here now, engage your reflection.
"Find joy and peace in this very moment."
We close this note with a score of reflections over the last month, reflected in my statuses on Facebook and Twitter...
"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin." ~ Ivan Turgenev (via Persia Pele)
"If everything seems under control -- you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti (via Marianne Borenstein)
"I am a professional guitar player. People pay me to stop." ~ Bob Cleveland (via me)
"Violence is never the answer, unless the question is, 'What is never the answer?'" ~ Cleveland Brown (via me)
"Find joy and peace in this very moment." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh (via@NikiConnor)
"Ancient master says: If you like everything, then you like nothing. But if you love everything, you have the world." ~ Kurt Thams
"The face of the unknown, hidden beyond the universe would appear on the mirror of your perception." - Rumi
"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. It's the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy." - Jacques D'amboise
Love is when you open your heart to pain.
"Pain is the way to bring our full attention back to the only 'thing' that truly matters. THIS. PRESENT. MOMENT."
Yesterday is in the tomb. Today is in the womb.
Five lessons on how to treat people:
That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Buddha
Be who you are, as hard as you can.
Could writing about your values help you lose weight? Reflection has power.
Tips to learn to live in the present: T. Hotsenpiller
1) Begin to make healthy daily choices. The reason you look to the future is because you can “make believe” how it looks. In reality the future is a reflection of your present day-by-day decisions. An exercise I do with my clients is to make a list of healthy daily habits and check them off throughout the day.
2) Look for the reason you are here. You have the ability to make someone’s day special. From a smile to holding the door open for someone, your existence matters. See yourself as vital to society. You can extend love to the loveless. I make it my job to improve three people’s lives a day. Begin to live in the now by enjoying today.
3) Breathe! As a personal trainer and Pilates instructor, I have learned and experienced the value of deep breathing. This skill will release tension and add serenity to your daily life.
4) Make a thanksgiving list. This exercise has opened many of my client’s eyes to all the blessings they currently have. Your past may haunt you, and the future overwhelms you, but your thanksgiving list will hold you secure in today.
5) Just let go. We allow so many things to anger, frustrate and control us. Learn to “Just Let Go”! When we release the things that try to destroy our joy, we win. A few ways to deal with the pressure of your day are:
a. Walk away from the conflict–stay away long enough for your rational mind to return.
b. Count to 20, then ask yourself if this really matters that much.
c. Breathe and smile. :-)
d. Visualize peace and serenity. Keep positive quotes near you at all times to reflect upon positive truths.
“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present”. ~Babatunde Olatunji
Make peace with your past so it doesn't spoil your present.
The 12 Laws of Karma: