Negotiation Process: The #1 thing Harvard tells MBA's about getting a big salary
Eric Barker stashed this in Work
I like this:
As Sun Tzu said, “All battles are won or lost before they are ever fought.”
It’s in the preparation, not on the battlefield.
Tip #1: Get people to like you.
You want to get more. You want more money, a better offer, a better deal; here are the components of what you need to do. First, they need to like you. That’s the first component. The things you do that make them like you less make it less likely that you are going to get what you want…
Summary of that page:
Carnegie listed six ways to make people like you.
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Remember that a person’s name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other person’s interest.
- Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.