How to live like a king for very little
Halibutboy Flatfish stashed this in Funny shit
Stashed in: #lifehacks, Best PandaWhale Posts, Wisdom, Advice, Retweet this., Awesome, Stories, Jobs, Manifestos, Favors!, life, The Internet is my religion., Nutrition!, Free stuff!, Life Hacks, Give and Take, Money, Change, Helpful, Inspirational
Advice in all caps from a craftsman and musician from probably Portland I'm guessing.
great pic though
NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR MASTERS IN DOSTOYEVSKY…that's true advice for the ages right there...
Actually, that's just the punchline in a two-stanza arc around the theme of fixing things:
7. LEARN TO FIX THINGS. TONS OF GREAT BOOKS AND YOUTUBE VIDS ON FIXING ANYTHING. OR ASK AN OLD DUDE. PEOPLE USED TO FIX THINGS. NO SHIT.
8. LEARN A TRADE – CARPENTRY, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, AUTO MECHANICS, TAILORING, COMPUTER/ELECTRONICS REPAIR, SOMETHING THEY CAN’T FUCKING OUTSOURCE. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR MASTERS IN DOSTOYEVSKY…. FIX SOMETHING, DUMBASS, FIX SOMETHING!
He's really into making things:
11. MAKE THINGS – LOOK AROUND YOU. WHAT DO YOU SEE? YAH, SHITTY STUFF MADE BY IMPOVERISHED ENSLAVED PEOPLE FAR AWAY. PICK ANYTHING. MAKE A BETTER ONE. PEOPLE WANT GOOD SHIT. YOU WON’T GET RICH, BUT YOU’LL GET BY.
All hail Thor Harris, fixer and maker of good shit: http://monofonuspress.com/artists/thor-harris
It warms my heart that Thor Harris is into favors:
10. DO PEOPLE FAVORS. IT’S CALLED COOPERATION. IT’S HOW THE WORLD WORKED BEFORE MONEY. THEY WILL RETURN THE FAVOR, OR SOMEONE WILL. NO SHIT. THIS REALLY WORKS.
Solid career advice:
13. FIND WORK YOU LOVE. IF YOU CAN’T DO THAT, THEN FIND A JOB WHERE YOU LOVE THE PEOPLE.
Solid nutrition advice:
3. BUY MOST OF YOUR GROCERIES FROM THE PRODUCE SECTION. MOST OF THAT OTHER SHIT IS NOT ACTUALLY FOOD. YOU DON’T NEED IT.
Actually the #1 money-saving tip I have learned is: don't eat out. He tells you about not drinking in bars, but that seems to be motivated by not wanting to get a DUI. Eating out is actually way worse for many people's budgets.
That's good advice. Drunk driving is for rich assholes with lawyers:
9. IF YOU LIKE BOOZE, DRINK AT HOME WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS. DRUNK DRIVING IS FOR ASSHOLES, RICH ONES WITH LAWYERS.
He's all about preventable expenses.
16. PREVENTABLE EXPENSES - STD’S, ABORTIONS, DWI’S, LUNG CANCER, HEAD INJURIES, SPEEDING TICKETS, CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER.
Yeah, it's all good. But do I have to wear a hat?
I'm wondering if he did that to appear non-threatening while hoisting that axe, or maybe to appear even more threatening?
Night or day, it's hard to reconcile a hairy man wielding an axe overhead with a wicked witch's hat on his head...
PS. HAH! I shoulda realized this was a Keep Austin Weird kinda thing, picked up and first published by Monofonus Press http://monofonuspress.com/how-to-live-like-a-king-for-very-little-by-thor-harris
And a much better picture of Thor too (who the phuck outside of Stavanger Norway names their kid Thor anyway?)...
PPS. Ok, the dude's of Nordic heritage, so I take back the naming comment above. And he's from here in Austin, where all us outliers live. And apparently he has a softer, duller side:
PHOTO BY JOHN ANDERSON
"If my life was a film, it would be mostly pretty dull," writes Thor Harris in the liner notes to his new ambient LP with Rob Halverson, Fields of Innards II. "However, with the right soundtrack, it could be pawned off as an 'art' film." Harris' saga is far from ordinary (see "Hammer of the Gods," Jan. 21, 2000). Alongside backing Bill Callahan and anchoring Shearwater, which tapes a special performance at Austin City Limits' Studio 6A for KUT on Friday, July 16, the Nordic percussionist is also a member of Michael Gira's recently reformed Swans. The New York outfit recently completed a new album, My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky, and announced plans for a corresponding worldwide tour (with a noticeable gap around November's Fun Fun Fun Fest). "Michael is one of those artists, kind of like Nick Cave, that just keeps getting better," observes Harris, who wrote Gira a fan letter before joining him in Angels of Light, leading to the paean "My Friend Thor." In that context,Fields of Innards II makes a perfect soundtrack, elusive and disquieting, like an audio collection of all things that bump in the night."
The hat makes him look like a wizard.
Yep, makes him wiser, and gives him super powers against stupidity :)