Gif vs. Jif
J Thoendell stashed this in Gifs
GIF stands for Graphical Interchange Format.
I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me it's pronounced jraphics?
Maybe when I get home I'll play with my Jolden Retriever.
Or rent the 2014 hit box office movie, Juardians of the Jalaxy.
I know! For your birthday I will jive you a jift!
Possibly a pet joldfish, or a juinea pij.
The one and only argument that the "hard G" people have is that "graphics" is pronounced that way.
So what? Is there a rule that acronyms must pronounce each letter the same way that they're pronounced in the constituent word?
If so, be prepared to pronounce these acronyms in new and shittier ways:
- NASA is now "naysa", because that first "A" is for "aeronautics."
- BART is now "bairt" -- it's "area," not "aria" bro!
- LASER is not "lazer," it's "lacer" (the "s" is for "simulated" -- there's no z!)
- SCUBA is now pronounced "scubba", not "scooba" (the "u" is for underwater, not über)
- SARS is not "sarz," but rather "sarce" (it rhymes with "farce"). Sorry bro, but again there's no z!
- PHAT (pretty, hot, and, tempting) is now pronounced "p-hat," which still sounds pretty "hip-hop" so maybe it's ok to tell black americans that one of their words has just had a mandatory pronunciation change, courtesy of white e-culture!
It's "jif." Get over it!
Or we can bet than the format will be a relic in 10 years.
mp4 and webm don't less ambiguous pronunciations. ^^
I think the first. But I'm not sure.